Patients to our Greensboro locations wearing contact lenses for the first time often ask us whether they should start with daily disposable contact lenses or monthly disposable contact lenses. While the annual cost of daily contacts is a bit more than monthly contacts, we generally recommend dailies. Let’s review the pros and cons of each.
Daily Disposable Contact Lenses
- Convenience. Eliminating the need for lens solutions and lens cleaning saves time and money.
- Excellent for new or infrequent use. It takes a little bit of time getting used to wearing and handling contact lenses. New contact wearers may tear or lose contacts easily.
- Hygiene. Daily contact lenses are discarded every day so there is less opportunity for buildup and eye infection.
- Higher initial cost. Dailes do cost more upfront, but after adding the cost of solutions and time, they are comparable to monthlies.
Monthly Disposable Contact Lenses
- Lower initial cost. Monthly contacts initially cost less, but after adding solutions, cases, and the time caring for the lenses, the cost is comparable.
- More durable. Monthlies are made of thicker lenses, so they are more durable and tear less frequently. However, they are more expensive to replace if they do tear.
- Can be worn while sleeping. We generally do not recommend sleeping in your contact lenses, but extended wear monthlies are FDA approved for sleeping.
- Maintenance. Monthly disposable contact lenses need to be cleaned and stored every day. The time and expense adds up.
The primary benefit of monthly disposable contacts is the lower upfront cost. However, the time and expense of contact lens maintenance makes the overall cost comparable. We recommend daily disposable contact lenses to our patients wearing contacts for the first time. Dailies are much easier to maintain and easier to replace if they tear or fall out.
Fox Eye Care is Greensboro’s Contact Lens Center featuring the largest selection of the latest daily and monthly contact lenses. Please schedule an appointment for a contact lens fitting or call us with any questions before your visit.